Starts September 23rd, 2021!
Course description and objectives
Have you ever wondered what’s going on in your dog’s head? Cognition refers to those intangible, invisible mental processes that influence behavior. All of these abilities combine to form the mental experience of an animal. And understanding that experience is critical to understanding behavior! This is truly fascinating stuff—and it will give you a new perspective on how to change behavior and promote wellbeing.
The course covers cognition in general and many of the concepts will apply to any species, but we do focus on dogs.
Don’t miss out on these great topics. We’ll be covering:
- A variety of types of cognition including concept formation, reasoning, self-awareness and language.
- Anthropomorphism and how it relates to working with animals
- The question of consciousness in non-human animals
- What we know about self-awareness
- How to apply this information to living and working with dogs!
Learn what goes on in our animals’ heads and come to understand that on a whole new level!
What to Expect
First of all, I’ll just own it. I really am a geek. As in, I get super excited about science stuff and dog behavior and new ideas. And I love sharing it all. Really love it. So you should probably expect a bit of enthusiasm.
Secondly, I have high standards. I think our industry could use a much deeper dive into the knowledge behind our craft. So you should expect to encounter much deeper material with me, and to study it at a higher level. Essentially I take a college approach rather than a conference one.
Thirdly, though, my standards for myself are just as high. If I’m going to ask you to do the work, you should know I’ll be working my tail off to make sure you’re successful. You’ll find me prepared, full of creative ideas to help you really “get it” and be able to use it, and always ready to offer extra help or support. Because I’m also really friendly and always happy to chat science and dogs.
Course features & tuition
How long we’ll hang out
What we’ll do
- Weekly live sessions
- Lecture, discussion, interactive application activities & short in-class assignments
- Quizzes to cement your knowledge & gain your CEUs
CCPDT: Auditors: 4 behavior consultant hours (pending); Full students: 8 behavior consultant hours (pending)
IAABC: Auditors: 4 hours (pending), Full students: 9.5 hours (pending)
$330 for students
(Includes 4 hours of instruction, 4 hours of discussion and application activities, course quizzes)
$200 for auditors
(Includes 4 hours of instruction)
The next course will start on Thursday, September 23rd. It runs for four weeks: 9/23, 9/30, 10/7, and 10/14.
- For all students: There will be a lecture at 6 pm Eastern time each Thursday. Class runs for about an hour. Each lecture will be conducted live and will include some interactive discussion. Lectures will also be recorded for students that are not able to attend live.
- For full students:
- Discussion sessions: There will be a discussion section at about 7 pm Eastern time each week (immediately following lecture). This session will run about an hour and we will use the time to further explore the concepts in a variety of ways. For particularly tricky content, students will participate in exercises to solidify and practice the information presented during lecture. In addition, students will have practice at applying course material directly to working with dogs. Discussions use a team-based learning format where students will be presented with a challenge then given an opportunity to discuss the challenge with their team and agree on an answer. We will then discuss the answer as a group and I will provide additional information on applications and connections to other concepts. The discussion sections are designed to create deep, transformative, and lasting learning related to course material.
- Course assessments: Full students will also receive quizzes and in-class assignments to assess their understanding of course material.
If you are interested in taking this course as a full student, but cannot attend live at the currently scheduled time, please e-mail email@example.com with your preferred times. If I get enough requests for other time slots, I will open additional sections.
Click here to register!
- Refunds, minus a $10 processing fee, will be granted if requested up to 2 days before the start of class. After that, 50% refunds will be granted.
- Refunds are not available after the start of class.
- Refunds will not be granted if you are unable to attend class and therefore unable to complete the required work. Excused absences will be granted in case of emergencies and illness (with proper documentation).